Friday, March 14, 2008

We are alive, for which we are thankful!!!

Yesterday, March 13, Jared and I were travelling to Riverton. Jared had a day off school and was coming to share some "fun time" with me at school with my students. As we were getting on the freeway, somehow I drifted off to the right. When I hit the cobbles on the side of the road at onramp 269, my tires blew on the driver's side. I swung into traffic and was positioned sideways across the two right lanes of northbound I-15 during morning rush-hour traffic. Amazingly, there was a break in the traffic and we did not hit anyone nor were we hit by anyone. Instinctively I slammed my foot down on the brake pedal and began cranking my wheel to get going in the right direction and off to the side of the road. As we came to a stop at the small space between the freeway and the offramp, I realized that my foot was on the gas pedal, not the brake - meaning that we had the power to get off the road rather than applying the brakes and stopping to get hit. I had also kept the clutch in so I am hoping there is minimal transmission damage. Jared and I looked at each other and immediately began checking to see if we were okay. Next we got out to assess the damage to the car. Both tires on the driver's side were blown, and since the front passenger tire was very flat. Since I hit a small metal post on my way down the rocky hill my passenger side view mirror was gone, as was the handle to get into the front passenger seat. I called my dad and Jared called the insurance. We contacted the highway patrol, who contacted a tow truck for us. I called Jennie and had her come meet me. Sweet girl, got out of bed and rushed out to meet us without even going to the bathroom first. As we stood on the side of the freeway she informed me that she really had to pee. After driving to the body shop (where Jennie was able to use the restroom) we dropped Jennie off at her apartment and continued on to Riverton. I got to work and immediately got into motion making sure that all was in motion for the students' swimming field trip. Jared began to crash as I went into gear. Jared's blood pressure was 160 over 100! We went to the Macaroni Grill to celebrate the lack of injury and the abundance of life. I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father who was looking out for us. I will post pictures of the damage later, it is amazing that there wasn't a scratch on us - not even whiplash! Jared is very stiff today and has been taking ibuprofen, but other than that, we are fine. I am so thankful for my sister and both sets of parents. We have received so much support from them as well as our family and friends. We appreciate all of you and we count you as one of our many, many blessings.


Martha said...

What an amazing story! I'm glad you guys are OK. How's the car now? Is it drive-able? Let me know if I can help give rides or anything.

Laura Chapman said...

Wow, I'm glad you two are ok. It's been a while since you've come in to visit us at work but it sounds like you're having fun in life and obviously busy during the day!

Lemme said...

holy moly!!! incredible story! really puts things into perspective...i'm glad you're both okay!