First off, gather the following supplies:
- Whatever you are studying: Ensign, Sunday School lesson, Church book, etc.
- Have your scriptures nearby
- a blank notebook. I like Mickey, so that's who is on the front of mine :)
- Post-it notes
- a six pack of highlighters (I like to color code things, and six is what I've found works for me)
- Yellow: Author, speaker, source
- Blue: direct quotes from the article
- Green: my personal thoughts
- Orange: scripture notations
- Purple: anything that has to do with parenting (since that is my focus in life right now)
- Pink: major announcements
That's pretty much it. It sounds complicated but it actually only takes about 30 extra seconds at the end of my study to highlight items. It has helped so much with giving talks in Sacrament meeting as well as Family Home Evening lessons and impromptu supplements to our couples scripture study.